A DEFINITIVE GUIDE TO STREET LIGHTING MAINTENANCE RESPONSIBILITIES
Many people have expressed frustration in trying to understand who is responsible for repairing which streetlights in Montgomery County. Street lighting costs are paid by different jurisdictions – it could be the State of Maryland, Montgomery County, or a municipality or special area. Responsibility for streetlight maintenance, however, may differ depending on the streetlight type and its location.
In Montgomery County there are a number of municipalities and special tax districts within the Pepco service area, as well as other areas such as Montgomery Village and Leisure World that also provide street lighting and the streetlight maintenance.
STREETLIGHTS ON WOODEN POLES
* If the streetlight is located on a wooden pole, Pepco is responsible for the repairs. The contact number is 1-877-pepco-62 (1-877-737-2662). When reporting an outage it is very helpful to have the nearest street address and/or a pole number.
* Montgomery County services and repairs all traffic-signal-mounted streetlights owned by Montgomery County, and those owned by either the Maryland State Highway Administration or the City of Gaithersburg.
METAL OR FIBERGLASS POLES
* If the streetlight is on a metal or fiberglass pole and served by underground wire and is located within one of the municipalities, special tax districts, Montgomery Village or Leisure World in Montgomery County, that jurisdiction should be contacted first to report the outage.
* If the streetlight is not located in one of the above jurisdictions or entities, contact the Montgomery County Department of Public Works and Transportation (MCDPW&T) at 240-777-2190. When an individual is reporting a streetlight outage, it is very helpful for the person making the report to also provide the nearest street address and/or a pole number.
WEB SITE FOR REPORTING OUTAGES TO MONTGOMERY COUNTY
* Citizens can go to the county Web site to review the locations in Montgomery County for county-maintained streetlights at http://gis.montgomerycountymd.gov/ims/lights/viewer.htm. The site can answer most questions. In addition, some of Pepco's wooden poles are also on this map and the pole numbers can be used to report the outage to Pepco.
PROCESS REGARDING UNDERGROUND SERVED STREETLIGHTS
* The responsible jurisdiction will have its crew or contractor replace the bulb, photocell or repair the wiring within the pole as necessary, and verify that there is voltage to the pole. If there is no voltage to the pole, the respective jurisdiction will then contact Pepco to repair the underground service. Pepco will make the repairs and advise that jurisdiction once the necessary repairs are completed.
STREET LIGHTING ON INTERSTATE HIGHWAYS (I-270 & I-495)
* The Maryland State Highway Administration (MSHA) does have metal streetlight poles along Interstates 270 & 495. MSHA also maintains streetlights on metal poles along state roads that are not on traffic poles.
STREET LIGHT MAINTENANCE CONTACT NUMBERS
Agency Phone Attention:
Maryland State Highway Administration
Highway Lighting 800-749-7371 Rick Divelbiss
Montgomery County 240-777-6000 Traffic and Safety
Pepco 877-737-2662 Customer Care Center